Group 5 // SSES Course Trendspotting & Future Thinking September&October, 2008

Sunday, September 7, 2008

'The Future of Trains': Just the right topic for me

One of the highlights of our first week with the 'Trendspotting and Future Thinking' course was the formation of groups and the distribution of research topics for each group. Being a member of Group 5, I am now fully concentrated on spotting the trends for 'The Future of Trains'.

I have to say that this is an excellent match! I am a huge 'train person', and having travelled around Europe twice with the Interrail ticket, have quite a bit of experience with them. The Interrail concept and the facilitator role it plays towards multicultural and international mingling will for sure be at the top of my list while researching for this project.Another current affair about trains that has been tackling my mind is not as pleasant as the latter. In my native Istanbul, the municipality has installed a system known by the name Metrobus, which is exactly the same thing with a tramor an above-ground metrosystem but the means of transportation is the conventional bus. Now what does that mean if not the consumption of more oil? A quick research I've done on the internet shows that this system is used as a mainstream means of transportation only in the 2nd worlddevelopingcountries. (Brazil, Turkey, Colombia)

I personally have a very big issue over this Metrobus business. It is a wasteful approach that solely aims for the very short-term. You designate the lanes, build the stops and stations, why don't you just put a pair of rails too so that you have a long lasting concrete solution to the problem of urban transportation. I'm hoping to look into this much more thoroughly throughout our research.

No comments: